Skip to main content

Reporting Nursing Home Abuse

Looking Out for Your Loved One

Our Law Firm Stands Up For Victims And Their Families

As attorneys who represent victims of nursing home abuse and neglect in Mobile and throughout Alabama, we’ve seen truly heart-wrenching situations over and over again. If you have any reason to believe your loved one was abused, it’s important to keep a level head. Here’s what you need to do:

How to Report

Report the abuse to the nursing home administration. This is an important step – but, of course, it’s not the only step. Speak with management at the nursing home about what you believe happened to your loved one. Listen to what they have to say, but don’t just take them at their word. Ask for records and documentation, and make sure you take note if they give evasive or dismissive answers.

Contact the government agency that handles elder abuse claims. In Alabama, nursing home abuse claims are investigated by the Alabama Department of Senior Services (ADSS), the Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH) and the Long-Term Care Ombudsman program. (Cases of elder abuse outside nursing homes are investigated by Adult Protective Services, a division of the Department of Human Resources.) Click here for more information on reporting elder abuse to the State of Alabama.

Contact the local police if a crime has been committed. Elder abuse is a serious crime in Alabama and it demands an immediate response from law enforcement. If you believe your loved one has been the victim of a crime, you should call the local police so that they can investigate what happened.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Let Us Handle Your Case

Contact Us

Phone: 251-438-7503